Saturday, April 26, 2008

Hunting in Chicago 6

So... the estimate? Two phases. Phase 1? $2800. Phase 2? $1400. Making $4200 total. Yikes. Can't do it, I'm afraid. Sorry Curtis. Couldn't happen. Well, I thought that was all. I said sorry, and I really appreciated it, and we would recommend him to all our friends, and I loved him so so much.

Um, yeah. That wasn't the end of Curtis. He's persistent and he means business. I made the mistake of telling him where the other apartment we were looking at was, just because he wanted to check if it was listed with his company. I thought, I really doubt that it's listed with them, because if it was, my wife would have noticed that. So I went on my merry way, and 30 min later got a call from him. Well, they hadn't been listed with Curtis' company, but he had called the landlord and persuaded him to list. What the eff? Crap, so I was thinking, I can't just go with Curtis, because Debra (the other realtor) had shown me the place first. To be honest, although Debra had done a fine job, Curtis had gone much more out of his way. So, first come first serve? Or is it meritocratic?

My wife luckily resolved this dilemma by telling me that #1, I was an idiot, and #2, that Debra had been super helpful to her, going out of her way finding places that were in our specifications, before I went out there. So, I called Curtis and told him that I didn't feel right about getting the place through him, because another realtor had shown it first. He was understanding and wished me luck. He's an all around classy guy, definitely. In a sneaky sort of way.

So that's really that. A place with over 1700 square feet, for $1300 a month, in a pretty good area with a huge playground right across the street. The only thing is there was a mass murder there in 1972, and the place is still haunted. But we have earplugs; I just hope the constant wailing doesn't wake the kids.

I made dinner (authentic cart-style chicken tacos) for the couple that let me stay with them, because, well, they are super nice and let me stay with them. They ruled. Turns out the husband Brandon went to the same mission as my brother, and told me some cool stuff about it.

The flight back was fast, and actually almost felt faster than taking the bus and train back from LaGuardia to my apartment (might be, actually--haven't calculated), because the freaking trains took forever and my half of the A train was shut down.

But whatever. I got back. We have a new apartment!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I didn't SAY you were an idiot. I just let my question, "You TOLD Curtis the address of the other apartment?" and let it hang until my insinuation was clear.

That's how I roll.

Andrea Teague said...

I know that this post is way old but your tacos ARE awesome. I need the recipe.